Financial Support

  • The college maintains and staffs an office for veteran services where veterans, dependents and selected reservists are provided information about education benefits available to them. 

    Veterans Services
    Room 105, SC4 Welcome Center
    (810) 989-5526. 

    Students who have served in the Army, Marine Corps, Navy or Coast Guard are encouraged to request their Joint Services Transcript (JST) for credit evaluation by SC4’s Records office. Request your Joint Services Transcript. Students who have served in the Air Force are encouraged to request their military transcript by clicking here.

    Visit to apply for VA benefits.

    Connect to news, information, services and resources in Michigan for Veterans by visiting the Michigan Veteran Affairs Agency (MVAA) website. 

    MVAA SilverFederal programs

    • Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill
    • Chapter 33 - Post-9/11 Montgomery GI Bill
    • Chapter 35 -  Survivors' and Dependents' Education Benefits
    • Chapter 1606 -  Selected Reserve, Montgomery GI Bill
    • Chapter 1607 -  Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)

    The following individuals shall be charged in-state tuition: any individual using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty Program), Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®), of title 38, United States Code, and/or the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311(b)(9)) who lives in the State of Michigan while attending St. Clair County Community College (regardless of his/her formal state of residence).

      • Application Process
      • Students are encouraged to apply at the earliest possible date. Applications are available through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website at Electronic application  and paper applications are accessible for both veterans (Form 22-1990) and dependents (Form 22-5490). The Department of Veterans Affairs will provide the applicant with a Certificate of Eligibility when approved. Visit the SC4 Veterans Certifying Official, Room 105, SC4 Welcome Center, after you have received your certificate of eligibility.

        Note: The VA strongly recommends that veterans and other beneficiaries submit their education benefits application online to expedite processing. You may call the VA National Education Help Line at (888) 442-4551 for assistance.

      • Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation
      • This program is available to veterans with a service-connected disability. For more information, contact the Veterans Administration Regional Office (28), Patrick V. McNamara Federal Building, 477 Michigan Avenue, Detroit, MI 48226 or call (800) 827-1000. Upon approval, deliver the Authorization and Certification of Status (Form 28-1905) to the SC4 Veterans Certifying Official, Room 105, SC4 Welcome Center.
      • State of Michigan Children of Veterans Tuition Grant Program
      • Obtain an application from the Children of Veterans Tuition Grant Program (CVTG) at Application questions should be directed to (888) 4-GRANTS or e-mail Upon approval the applicant will receive a Letter of Eligibility from the State of Michigan Department of Treasury. Deliver the Letter of Eligibility to the SC4 Veterans Certifying Official, Room 105, SC4 Welcome Center.
      • Earned Credits
      • If students have previously drawn educational benefits, a "Request for a Change of Place and/or Program" (form 22-1995) must be filed at An official transcript from other colleges must be sent to SC4 for evaluation of credit as soon as possible. Benefits can be suspended if credits granted for previous training are not reported to the Veterans Administration.
      • Pay Rate
      • Monthly rates vary according to which VA program is providing the assistance and the student’s course load. To view current payment rates, please refer to the following links:



      • Satisfactory Progress for Veterans
      • Students receiving VA benefits need to understand the college's policy regarding academic probation. They must maintain a GPA equal to or better than a 2.0 cumulative grade point average ("C" average). A 2.0 GPA is required to meet graduation requirements. If the GPA falls below 2.0, students will be placed on probation with VA.
      • Guidelines/Responsibilities
        • Individuals may register only for courses required to satisfy graduation requirements for specified majors.
        • VA payment is not ordinarily allowed for repeating a previously passed course.
        • Any changes in program of study, course load, address, etc., must be reported to the SC4 Veterans Office.
        • If a student receiving VA benefits withdraws from a class, the student may have to repay the money received for the class unless the withdrawal was due to circumstances beyond the student's control.
      • Support Resources